Late radio news reader Pearl Shongwe‘s cause of death has been suspected to be a drug overdose. A local publication reports that police officers found drugs in her bedroom when they did a cleanup at her home.
“We suspect drug overdose because we have found drugs in her bedroom when we were combing the house for possible leads to her death,” the police officer told the publication.
They further stated that they are looking into surveillance cameras to determine who might have been the last person to be with Shongwe while she was alive. Alluding that the person might have planted drugs to make it seem as though she overdosed.
A toxicology report will give a clear indication as to what exactly killed the presenter.
Pearl passed away at age 35 after she was found dead on Tuesday afternoon at her home in Polofields north of Johannesburg.
Here are some of the reactions:
I recall a show on MetroFM shortly after her passing. A medium-who can cross over to the deceased – was invited to the show, she told Mo & the team that Pearl said she was sorry for having taken substances she should not have been on. So sad 🙏#pearl
— Pinky Modecu (@PinkyModecu) March 5, 2023
People are struggling with a lot internally and resort to drugs I hope she is at peace now and forgive herself wherever she is 🙏
— Sindi Zuma (@sindisramos) March 5, 2023
It is so sad and heart breaking seeing what Pearl Shongwe is trending for today and she is not here to defend herself! Tlogelang ngwana wa Mme Thoko bathong o tlhokofetse, o fitlhilwe mo tlogeleng a robale ka kagiso please.
— Gung Ho Keemetswe🇿🇦🇰🇼 (@Lord_Satyriasis) March 5, 2023